Turmeric-Ginger Lentil Stew Recipe
Dinner tonight is a hearty Turmeric-Ginger Lentil Stew. Packed with protein and immune-boosting ingredients, this nourishing dish satisfies both your taste buds and well-being. Customise by adding the veggies of your choice!
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, for a spicy kick)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups packed spinach leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh coriander, for garnish (optional)
1. Rinse the red lentils under cold water and set them aside.
2. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for 5 minutes until translucent.
3. Add the minced garlic and grated ginger to the pot and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
4. Stir in the ground turmeric, cumin, coriander, and cayenne pepper (if using) and cook for another minute to toast the spices.
5. Add the rinsed lentils, vegetable broth, and diced tomatoes (with their juices) to the pot. Stir well to combine.
6. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot. Simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender and cooked through.
7. Stir in the spinach leaves and lemon juice, and let them wilt for a couple of minutes.
8. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Serve the stew hot, garnished with fresh coriander if desired.
This flavorful Turmeric-Ginger Lentil Stew is packed with plant-based protein from lentils, as well as immune-boosting properties from the turmeric, ginger, and garlic. Enjoy this nourishing meal that supports your well-being and satisfies your taste buds!
Note: Feel free to customise the recipe by adding other vegetables like carrots, capsicums, or cauliflower to the stew if desired.